105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

A round up of Local News in Redcar and Cleveland for 1st February 2016



Volunteers from the Redcar lifeboat were involved in a search for a missing man at the weekend.

A major search operation was launched on Saturday to find a 49-year-old man reported missing from Stockton.

The search focussed in and around Saltburn, including the coastal area and the Valley Gardens. and was resumed early yesterday.

The two RNLI lifeboats from Redcar launched just after 8.30am and, together with other emergency services, searched an area between the Ship Inn, Saltburn and the point of Huntcliff.

However shortly after yesterdays search began, a person was seen at the foot of the cliffs. 

Three RNLI volunteers went ashore. They discovered the person had sustained fatal injuries.

The man was brought back to the Redcar lifeboat station were he was handed into the care of the police.

Police say there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the man's death.


A new micro pub with the name 'Biggles' is set to get a flying start after a planning application for premises in Marske was given the go-ahead.

Members of Redcar and Cleveland Council’s regulatory committee have granted permission to change the vacant Pet Centre on The Wynd in Marske into the licensed premises.

The new micro-pub, which is one of a number to open recently in our area, would be allowed to open from 11am through until midnight during the week and on Saturdays, and from 11am to 11pm on Sundays.

Councillors on the planning committee heard that the scheme had divided opinion amongst locals, with nine letters of objection received and nine in support.


There was good news for our areas football teams at the weekend.

Guisborough Town were the winners in a thrilling 4-2 victory at a chilly and windswept West Allotment Celtic. It was the Priorymen's third away league win on the trot and maintains new managerial duo Steve Dowling and David Markham's unbeaten start to their management reign since early December.

Marske United were also celebrating, after they scooped a 3-0 victory against Seaham Red Star in their first league game since November 14th last year.

Meanwhile Redcar Athletic grabbed a 4-1 victory in their match against Prudhoe Town, despite going a goal down after 26 minutes. Goals from Andy Jennings, Danny Wray and Matty Dunford, plus an own goal from Prudhoe's Kieran Russell sealed the win.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information