Freemasons Support Redcar Coastwatch
On Saturday, Ian Williams, Charity Steward of Roseberry Freemasons Lodge, presented a cheque on behalf of The Freemasons Provincial Grand Charity, Yorkshire North and East Ridings, to Trevor Smith and Stan Whalley of Redcar Coast Watch.
The cheque for £400, together with donations from Roseberry Lodge, provided a contribution of £800 towards the installation of a much needed new stairway to the observation tower.
Stan and Trevor were pleased to accept the donation and thanked the Freemasons of Redcar and the Provincial Grand Charity for their continued support.
Coastwatch is a volunteer organisation with its stations and activities supported entirely by charitable donations from the local community.
The Redcar station opened on 31 October 1996 and occupies the top two floors of the building known as the 'Zetland Lifeboat Museum'. The building was originally built in 1877 as a RNLI Lifeboat Station and later became a museum and HM Coastguard Station. It was vacated by HM Coastguard in 1990 and became the property of Redcar & Cleveland Council, who have kindly permitted its use as a Museum and Coastwatch facility.
The 'Lookout', as it is affectionately referred to locally, is a watchtower located on The Esplanade in Redcar, about 3.5 miles south of the River Tees Estuary and Teesport, the 4th largest port by volume in the UK.