105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

Redcar Athletic lived up to their name with a crushing 10-0 victory in the Wearside Football League, on Saturday.

By Andrew McElvaney

There was an early scare for Redcar Athletic in the third minute when Darren Atkinson's speculative 35 yard shot caught the wind and dipped viciously forcing keeper Matthew Berry to tip the ball over from under his own crossbar. Redcar Athletic's first opportunity of the game came just 2 minutes later when Michael Woodhouse broke down the right and his cross into the area was headed just inches over the bar by Chris Atkinson. There then was a rather quiet period in the game until in the 28th minute Michael Woodhouse's ball over the top of the Seaham defence saw Chris Atkinson beat keeper Shay Adamson to it in the penalty area and rather than shoot or round the keeper to score, he unselfishly square it for his strike partner ANDY JENNINGS to side foot it into an empty net. Just 90 seconds later Andy Jennings forced his way into the Seaham penalty area and was brought down by defender Matthew Mustard with a rash challenge. Redcar Athletic penalty woes have been well recorded these past couple of seasons so the home fans held their breaths as ANDY JENNINGS took responsibility for taking the penalty but made no mistake when planting it into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

In the 32nd minute Kristian Kamara found Chris Atkinson with a superb pass but he was denied getting on the scoresheet when Seaham keeper Shay Adamson did well to react quickly and making a great blocking save with his body. Seaham very nearly pulled a goal back on 36 minutes when Darren Atkinson's superb cross from the left wing was met with a lovely flick header from Kyle Morris which flew just the wrong side of the angle of the crossbar and post of Redcar Athletic's goal.

H-T Redcar Athletic 2 v 0 Seaham Red Star Reserves

Redcar Athletic went 3-0 just 3 minutes into the 2nd half when ANDY JENNINGS picked up a short pass from Lewis Wood on the right, then left 2 defenders in his wake as steamed in the penalty area before curling a well placed shot across keeper Shay Adamson into the far bottom right hand corner of the net. ANDY JENNINGS netted his 4th of the game on 64 minutes, heading in at the 2nd attempt after Sam Webster, who had set up his 1st attempt, saw his follow up shot spoon up into air right in front of the in-form striker, who simply nodded the ball down into the gaping net. There was no holding ANDY JENNINGS back and on 74 minutes he was put in the clear by Matty Dunford's ball over the top of the Seaham defence and this time the striker let fly with an unstoppable low shot from 20 yards out into the back of the net. This goal was Redcar Athletic's 105th Wearside League goal of the season which broke the previous club record goals scored in a season.

Andy Jennings should have netted his double hat trick when he cut clean through the Seaham defence but with only keeper Shay Adamson to beat he decided to try to step up a simple tap in for Lewis Wood but put the ball to close to the keeper who was able to gather it in before Wood could reach it. However on 82 minutes after being put in on goal by Sam Webster, this time Andy Jennings when 1-on-1 with the keeper he squared it perfectly for MICHAEL WOODHOUSE to fire high into net from yards out.

With 2 minutes remaining with the game heading towards it end Redcar Athletic went goal crazy by adding another 4. On 88 minutes Matty Dunford's header forward was picked up ANDY JENNINGS who left the Seaham defence in his wake before firing past keeper Shay Adamson for his double hat-trick. Straight from the kick off Redcar Athletic regained possession and Joe Blackburn put MATTY DUNFORD clear down the right, who fired a low shot neatly across the shell-shocked keeper in the bottom right hand corner of his net. A minute into injury time Matty Dunford played the ball onto Andy Jennings, who lifted it over the defence for MICHAEL WOODHOUSE to run onto it and round the keeper to make it 9-0.

There was time for Redcar Athletic to squeeze in a 10th as once again they got the ball back straight away. Lewis Wood put Andy Jennings clear of the static defence and he generously squared it for MICHAEL WOODHOUSE to simply ghost past the now haunted keeper Shay Adamson, to slot the ball into the empty net for his own hat trick.

F-T Redcar Athletic 10 v 0 Seaham Red Star Reserves

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information