105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

Guisborough Town’s inconsistent start to the season continued at the KGV when the Priorymen had to settle for a point

A Seaham Red Star 92nd minute penalty from Danny Earl proved crucial in the game.

Although the welcome point kept Guisborough in third spot, they have now now won only once in their last six games, along with three defeats and two draws.

Guisborough Manager Chris Hardy blamed the latest disappointing result on a lack of “clincial cutting edge” coupled with the fact that Seaham “shut up shop” to preserve an early lead they established in the 17th minute.

He said after the game: “On reflection, this evening saw another example of a team coming to the KGV, scoring early on and then going defensive to look after what they had. “To concede a first half goal proved to be the exact tonic for our opponents to shut up shop and protect their one goal lead. Having had the majority of possession and created the most chances in the game it would have been a travesty if we had come away with nothing but credit to the boys for keeping going right to the final whistle, which saw a late penalty give us a share of the spoils."

“With all the above said, we are well aware of what challenges these fixtures present to us and if we are to do better from these situations then our cutting edge has to be more clinical" The new on-loan signing from Middlesbrough Jordan Jowers was given his Man-of-the-Match.

With Guisborough sitting third in the table and Seaham 17th before the start of the game, hopes were high that the Priorymen would put behind them the deep disappointment of losing 3-2 at Bishop Auckland due to a hotly-disputed late penalty. But it was Seaham who started better and they took the lead after 17 minutes when McBryde was put through by Kane and he beat Guisborough ‘keeper Nick Liversedge at the near-post. That signalled a massed defensive formation from Seaham which Guisborough found frustrating and hard to break down with any real incisive penetration. Andrew May headed over from a corner and Luke Bythway twice brought good saves out of Seaham ‘keeper Newbrook as the first half finished with Guisborough still a goal behind.

The second half continued in similar vein with Seaham often having 10 men behind the ball and Guisborough for all their endeavours just unable to find a breakthrough. Gary Wood came on as substitute in the 69th minute and he seemed to instil some calm and drive in midfield, but Guisborough continued to labour without reward. In the 90th minute Guisborough’s best move of the game by far ended with Danny Earl’s shot being well saved by Newbrook after great work from Kurt Round. With time ebbing away Guisborough mounted another late attack and a ball into the area bounced up and clearly hit Donnelly on the hand and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Up stepped Danny Earl and he showed nerves of steel to smash the ball high and wide into the right corner of the net to give his side a 1-1 draw.

Guisborough’s next game is on Saturday, 24 October at Washington, who have been one of the surprise teams this season, sitting 8th in the table but with several games in hand on all the teams around them and with some impressive scalps under their belt. Returning to the squad is Chay Liddle but there are continuing injury worries to Pete Bulmer and Paul Roddam. Connor Smith is unavailable but coming into the squad will be a new signing, Galloway.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information