105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

Redcar Athletic prepared for Bank Holiday Monday's derby by blasting seven on Saturday.

By Andrew McElvaney

Redcar Athletic found it difficult to penetrate the Harton and Westoe defence in the first half and chances on goal were limited. However the deadlock was broken in the 25th minute when Sam Webster broke down the right and his cross in the box was met by MICHAEL WOODHOUSE who fired his shot into the ground which then bounced off the pitch and over keeper James Erwin's dive, into the net.

H-T Redcar Athletic 1 v 0 Harton and Westoe

Redcar Athletic almost doubled their advantage just 90 seconds into the 2nd half when Joe Ferguson's deep cross from the left was met with a powerful downward header by Chris Atkinson which keeper James Erwin did well to block with his body right on the goal line to prevent it from going in. Harton and Westoe went straight up the field and Redcar Athletic keeper Matthew Berry prevented them from equalising when diving full length to turn a stinging 20 yard drive from Logan Powell round the left hand post. Within 3 minutes the game was all but over as Redcar Athletic netted twice within the space of 30 seconds to take a 3-0 lead. On 50 minutes Michael Woodhouse on the halfway line sent SAM WEBSTER clear down the right with a great pass and he fired a shot into the far left hand corner of the net. Straight from the kick off Redcar Athletic regained possession of the ball and once again Michael Woodhouse put in SAM WEBSTER in the clear down the right this time he scooped the ball over the keeper, which then seemed to take an age before dropping into the far left corner of the net. It really should have been 4-0 on the hour mark when Robbie Farrier sent Joel Callender clear on goal, but with only the keeper to beat, he fired his shot straight at him and it the chance was gone. On 64 minutes Robbie Farrier played a lovely 1-2 on the right wing with Sam Webster, before sending over a cross which was just headed wide of the right hand post by Chris Atkinson. The 4th goal finally came 5 minutes later when Joel Callander played in Sam Webster on the right and CHRIS ATKINSON managed to make contact with his cross, which then deflected off Harton and Westoe defender Fraser McNab, who despite a desperate attempt to hook the ball away was unable to do so before it was deemed to have crossed the goal line by the linesman. Originally the goal was given as an own goal but was awarded to the Redcar Athletic striker as his effort was deemed goalbound before deflecting off the Harton and Westoe defender. A dreadful short back pass in the 75th minute by Robbie Farrier gave Harton and Westoe striker Logan Powell a great opportunity of getting on the scoresheet, but he was stopped in his tracks in the area with a great at his feet by keeper Matthew Berry. A minute later it was 5-0 to Redcar Athletic when after a great run down the right wing by Sam Webster he squared the ball to his left 20 yards from goal and CHRIS ATKINSON fired a first time shot low into the bottom left hand corner of the net. In the 78th minute Harton and Westoe came the closet they ever come to scoring in the match when from Andrew Hall's corner kick from the left into the area Jack Young rose highest to head over keeper Matthew Berry, only to see the ball headed clear from under the crossbar by Redcar Athletic defender Jordan Kirk. With 5 minutes remaining Joe Ferguson's deep cross from the left was tapped back across by Sam Webster for MICHAEL WOODHOUSE to thump a 20 yard curling shot into the left hand side of the net for his 2nd goal of the match. In the 87th minute after a 1-2 with Chris Atkinson 25 yards out from goal, MICHAEL WOODHOUSE burst into the box before planting the ball into the right hand side of the net for his hat trick and Redcar Athletic's 7th of the game. It was almost 8-0 just a minute later when Joel Callander went on an individual run from halfway into the Harton and Westoe area and after having his first shot blocked on the goal-line by a defender's boot from the rebound he was denied a 2nd time when keeper James Erwin did well to react quickly to get a hand to flick his shot away.

Team News for Monday's Wearside League Cup Final game at Green Lane against Stockton Town is that Redcar Athletic should have a near full squad to choose from, so numerous options will be open to Manager Steve Connolly.

F-T Redcar Athletic 7 Harton & Westoe 0

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information