105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

Redcar Athletic remain top of the Wearside Football League after a blustery game of two halves, at Green Lane, on Saturday.

By Andrew McElvaney

This match was seriously affected by a near gale force wind with Redcar Athletic taking full advantage with it blowing behind them in the 2nd half. A bumper holiday crowd still had plenty to enjoy, with the best left to the very end which had them purring. It was Spennymoor Town reserves who took the lead in the 13th minute when MATTHEW PENNALL ran onto a ball over the top of the Redcar Athletic defence and despite seeing keeper Matthew Berry saving his first effort , he latched onto the rebound to place the ball into the net. Redcar Athletic came close to equalising in the 17th minute when Andy Jennings picked up the ball with his back to goal just inside the penalty area from James Swann, turned and fired in a stinging rising shot which keeper David Atkinson did well to fingertip onto the crossbar. New signing Joel Callender raced in to try to slot the loose ball into the net but it bounce awkwardly in front of him and he could not get any power behind his effort and this allowed centre-half Mykel Summerson to hook the ball clear. Redcar Athletic did well to keep Spennymoor Town Reserves at bay with the strong wind in their faces making it tough going but the visitors should have doubled their lead 3 minutes before the break. Matthew Pennall got clear down the left and although he lifted the ball over on-rushing Redcar Athletic keeper Matthew Berry, he put too much height into his effort and with the help of the wind it cleared the crossbar to the relief of the home crowd.

H/T Redcar Athletic 0 v 1 Spennymoor Town Reserves

Spennymoor Town Reserves were forced to replace their keeper David Atkinson just 5 minutes into the 2nd half after he seemed to pull a muscle in his leg. Harry Wray came off the bench to take over between the sticks. Despite having the severe right in their faces it was the away side who had the best of the opening 20 minutes of the 2nd half. In the 58th minute classy centre forward Ross Morrow pulled off a superb dummy to glide into the Redcar Athletic penalty and then seemed to set Matthew Pennall up on a plate only for keeper Matthew Berry to make an amazing full length save to turn the ball round the right hand post for a corner kick. After that chance went west for Spennymoor Town Reserves they never got another look in as Redcar Athletic finally clicked into action. The equaliser came in the 66th minute when after Sam Webster was foul on the left wing 20 yards out from goal, JAMES SWANN, with the aid of the wind curled the ball over keeper Harry Wray into the far right hand corner of the net. Just 4 minutes later Redcar Athletic went ahead when Sam Webster's low corner kick into the area was drilled into the net with a fierce shot from 12 yards by MICHAEL WOODHOUSE. In the 72nd minute Lewis Wood's corner kick was flick headed on by Andy Jennings and Luke Woodall's downward goalbound header deflected off a defender's knee and just went inches wide of the left hand post. Lewis Wood curled in a corner which with the help of the wind flew over keeper Harry Wray and this time LUKE WOODALL was not to be denied as he tapped the ball over the line from point blank range. In the 75th minute new signing Joel Callender looked to have scored a debut goal, when heading home a great header from 10 yards out from Joe Bennett's curled free kick into the area, only to see the linesman at the far side with his flag raised as he started to celebrate. A minute later there was no flag to save Spennymoor Town Reserves conceding a 4th goal as ANDY JENNINGS stooped low to head home Sam Webster's left wing cross. Top striker Andy Jennings had the bit well and truly between his teeth now and was denied a 2nd goal when after turning a defender on the edge of the visitors area he fired in a low powerful shot, which substitute keeper Harry Kray turned round the left post with an amazing full length figertip save. In the 90th minute ANDY JENNINGS picked up the ball from Joel Callender just outside the penalty area, he then went on a maze of a run which saw him weave in and out of the box twice before, with the ball seemingly stuck to his boot with glue, picking his spot and placing the ball into net with pure confidence. Both sets of supporters burst into applause after the sighs of ooh and aahs on viewing this a-mazing individual effort.

F-T Redcar Athletic 5 v 1 Spennymoor Town Reserves

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information