Zetland FM Local News - 22nd July 2020
A main road in our area had to be closed yesterday evening following a collision;
Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was assaulted in Redcar;
...and fisheries officers have intervened after cockle pickers returned to Redcar beach.
A main road in our area had to be closed yesterday evening following a collision.
Bankfields Road, in Eston, was closed in both directions after the collision at around 7.30pm yesterday.
A bike and a car were involved in the smash that saw the air ambulance and land paramedic crews called to the scene.
One person was taken to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough - their condition is not known.
An eye witness said there were five police vehicles still at the cordon at 9pm, with officers carrying out door to door inquiries.
Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was assaulted in Redcar.
Officers were called at around 8:20 on Monday evening to a report that a man had been assaulted on Redcar High Street, near to The Clocktower Pub.
A 37-year-old man suffered a head injury and was taken to James Cook University Hospital.
He remains there in a ‘stable’ condition whilst receiving treatment.
Officers are investigating and have a cordon in place in an area on the High Street which is outside the pub.
Police believe there were a number of people in the area at the time of the incident and would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed what happened to contact them on the non-emergency number 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Fisheries officers have intervened after cockle pickers returned to Redcar beach.
Large groups of people were back yesterday collecting undersized shellfish to supply to takeaways.
However fisheries officers were on hand to halt them in their tracks.
All the undersized shellfish were returned to the water and those illegally trying to snatch them will be reported to the Chief Fisheries Officer for prosecution.
Cockles which are found on beaches in our area are not fit for human consumption and eating them could be potentially fatal for children.