105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

A round up of Local News in Redcar and Cleveland for Tuesday 15th November 2016.

A group of dog walkers have been rescued after they were cut off by a “super moon” tide at Marske beach yesterday.

Redcar’s lifeboat service and Skinningrove Coastguard Rescue Team came to the group's aid shortly after 11.30 yesterday morning.

The man, two women and their two dogs all found themselves stranded on a sandbar near Cliff House yesterday morning.

Once they realised they were stuck they phoned the UK Coastguard for help.

When lifeboats arrived the crews found the people up to their knees in the rising tide.

The walkers and their pets were ferried back to Marske beach on one of the lifeboats.

The incident happened over three hours before high tide and on the day of a super moon, when the moon is at its closest to the earth.

It is believed that this may be what caused the unusual rise in tide.


Cleveland Police are targeting drivers who use their mobile phones at the heel this week.

Officers in unmarked cars will be out on the roads actively looking for drivers who are distracted by their phone.

And those drivers found to be breaking the law by could be given a £100 fine and three penalty points.

This comes after the police reported 871 offences of driving while using a phone across Cleveland and Durham in 2015.

The crackdown is part of a week long campaign to help keep the roads safe.

Using hands-free phones while driving can also result in prosecution if the driver isn’t in proper control of their vehicle.

Driving carelessly or dangerously when using a hands-free phone can lead to a disqualification, a fine and up to two years imprisonment.


Homes and businesses across Redcar and Cleveland were left without power yesterday lunchtime all because of a balloon.

The balloon with foil streamers hit power lines near Lackenby and caused one of the area’s main electricity substations to short circuit.

Around 41,000 Northern Powergrid customers lost power across Redcar, Marske and Guisborough.

The outage happened just after 1pm yesterday after the balloon incident in Lackenby.

However, power was quickly restored and everything was up and running again around fifteen minutes later.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information