105FM :: Local Radio for Redcar & Cleveland

A round up of Local News in Redcar and Cleveland for Monday 8th August 2016.

A man has been shot by police in Middlesbrough after threatening officers with an imitation handgun.

At around 4.30 yesterday morning, police were informed by a member of the public that a man had been seen possibly in possession of a firearm on Corporation Road in Middlesbrough.

Police traced the man, who pointed the firearm at himself and at police officers at the scene.

Officers discharged a baton round which meant that they could detain the man safely and he was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The 21-year-old man is currently in police custody. He received hospital treatment for bruising as well as a bite injury to his shoulder which occurred when a police dog was deployed during the incident.

The weapon was recovered and was found to be an imitation handgun.

No one else was involved in the incident and police are continuing to carry out enquiries.


Cleveland Mountain Rescue service were in action at the weekend to assist a walker who had collapsed on Roseberry Topping.

The 36 year old Great Ayton man had been found by a group of walkers from Durham in a confused state.

They raised the alarm and the ambulance service contacted Cleveland Mountain Rescue due to the remote location.

Volunteers from the mountain rescue service quickly reached the incident site in one of their Landrover ambulances.

The casualty was assessed by one of the teams' advanced first-aiders before being transported to the nearby Airey Holme Farm and a waiting ambulance.

The incident lasted about an hour and involved 13 team members.


More than fifty walkers took part in a major walking event in Redcar at the weekend.

The aim of the 'Redcar Blast' Centurion Walk was for participants to walk a hundred miles in less than 24 hours.

The event got underway at midday on Saturday and saw the walkers following a two mile loop course from the Beacon up to the bandstand, then back along the Esplanade to the path at the Stray, and back to to Beacon.

The sunshine on Saturday brought large numbers of members of the public into Redcar, with the sight of the walkers heading up and down the Esplanade causing some bewilderment.

However as the sun set and night fell the public headed home leaving the walkers to continue the race through the early hours and into Sunday morning.

Of the 52 walkers who started the race, 11 completed the full 100 miles. The winner was 39-year-old Frank van der Gulik from the Netherlands, who completed the race in 20 hours, 30 minutes and 56 seconds, Frank is a veteran of the event, having previously completed more than a thousand centurion races around the world.

Second place went to Colin Vesty from Leicester who finished nine minutes later, with Dutchman Jimmy Millard in third.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information