A round up of Local News in Redcar and Cleveland for Wednesday 1st June 2016.



Police are appealing for information after a 26-year-old taxi driver was victim to an attempted knife point robbery on Tennyson Close in Grangetown.

The incident occurred on Saturday at around quarter to four in the morning when the taxi, a blue Skoda Octavia, picked up a man for a fare. When the man sat in the passenger seat, he held a knife against the throat of the driver and demanded his takings.

After a struggle with the driver, the man left empty handed in the direction of St Patricks Road on a pedal cycle.

The driver sustained cuts to both hands as a result of the incident and received treatment at hospital.

Anyone with information regarding the identity of the suspect or anyone who may have seen anything or anyone acting suspiciously around the junction of Birchington Avenue and Slater Road at around 3:35am the same morning is asked to contact DC Mick Jackson on the non-emergency number 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.


A major route in our area had to be closed following a collision last night.

Emergency services were called to the accident on the A174 Parkway close to the Lazenby junction shortly after 9pm.

The A174 was closed for a period, causing long queues of traffic backing up towards Eston and down the A1032, which is locally known as the 'mad mile'.

The road re-opened shortly after 10pm, with police and fire remaining on scene to carry out investigative work into the accident.


A dead whale that washed up on Marske beach yesterday morning is expected to be removed early today.

Workers from Redcar and Cleveland Council joined the Coastguard on the beach yesterday afternoon to take advice on how the whale could best be moved.

The whale, which is about 15 feet long, was spotted in the water by a local dog walker at around 7am yesterday morning.

The incident came on the fifth anniversary of the beaching of a 35-tonne sperm whale, which became grounded on the beach at Redcar in 2011.

However, despite efforts to save it, the whale died.

Its jawbone is now part of a display at the Zetland Lifeboat Museum.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information